Having orthodontic treatment extends beyond just placing brackets or appliances. There are guidelines to follow and care instructions that patients must follow at home in order to have the best orthodontic outcome.
Care of teeth and orthodontic braces and appliances:
• Regular and frequent hygiene visits are essential in preventing gum disease and tooth decay around brackets and appliances
• At home hygiene care is very important. Brush and floss after every meal to avoid food debris getting stuck between brackets. Water flossers are great for washing away plaque and debris
• Keeping your regular orthodontic appointments is essential. Any missed appointments can result in delayed overall treatment times
• If playing any sports ensure proper mouth guards are being worn
• Avoid chewing on pencils, pens or any other hard objects
• Avoid sticky, hard or sugary foods such as popcorn, toffee, caramel, hard or sticky candy, chewy crusts such as pizza, gum, nuts, ice cubes and corn on the cobb
• When eating healthy foods that are hard like fruits or vegetables cut them up into bite sized pieces and chew on your back molars rather than biting directly into them with your front teeth
• If anything becomes loose or broken call the office ASAP
We are always happy to answer any questions or concerns about proper care during orthodontic treatment in order to ensure the best possible outcome for our patients!